In case your jaw’s current bone mass cannot incorporate dental implants, bone augmentation (also known as bone grafting) will be needed. Using bone augmentation, doctors can grow bone using a bone graft material which amalgamates with the implant securely putting it in place.
Reasons for Bone Augmentation
The following are the reasons why bone augmentation treatment is required:
- Bone loss – This is the main reason that necessitates the procedure. You can avoid this by immediately replacing lost teeth with implants.
- Due to tumors in your face
- As a result of an infection
- Teeth misalignment
- Periodontal disease
Sources for Bones Used in Bone Augmentation
Bone augmentation treatment will get the bone used in the procedure from the following sources:
- From other parts of your body like the hip or your chin. This option is called autograft.
- Another option is bone sourced from a cadaver or another human. (Allograft)
- The third source is from animals such as cows. (Xenograft)
- The last option is synthesizing an artificial bone in the laboratory (Alloplast).
To avoid passing on disease and bacteria to you, the harvested bone will go through a thorough disinfection process.
Preparing for Bone Augmentation Treatment
Before going for bone augmentation in El Paso, TX, you should observe the following:
- At least eight hours before your procedure, do not take any food or drink fluids. You should also avoid chewing gum or mint.
- You should make arrangements to have someone take you home after the procedure. It is not wise to drive after having bone augmentation treatment.
- Substitute your contact lenses for glasses on that day.
- Wear a short-sleeve shirt.
Before performing the bone augmentation, dentists in El Paso will go through your medical history. You will also have several X-rays taken to assess the situation. For children below 18, their guardian must be present to sign consent forms.
The procedure is generally painless and quick. Local anesthesia is used to numb your gums then a cut is made to expose your jawbone. A bone graft material containing proteins and collagen, which stimulate bone growth, is then attached to the jawbone. The gum tissue is closed by stitching the surface.
After bone augmentation, dentists El Paso have noticed some bone particulates may exit your socket causing you to feel a ‘gritty’ sensation in your mouth. If you experience this, do not be alarmed. There are cases when, after several weeks, the membrane fixed over the socket becomes loose. This also should not alarm you.
As you heal, you will come in for check-ups regularly so that our dentist may ascertain you are healing properly.
Depending on the condition of the bone and the graft extent, healing may happen after several weeks or nine months.
After the procedure, you will be directed to a recovery room fitted with equipment to monitor your progress, thus ensuring safety. In case you have any question, do not hesitate to ask your nurse for answers.
When you get home, you should:
- Avoid strenuous activities 48-72 hours after the procedure. Vigorous activities may open up your stitches.
- You should resume normal activities gradually as you continue to feel better.
- Maintain a high level of hygiene.
- Eat food that is nutritious to help speed up the recovery process.
- Before the numbness wears off, take your pain medicine.
- Place an icepack on the surface directly above the area operated to minimize swelling.
- Take at least a day off work after the procedure.
- Ensure you strictly adhere to your dentist’s instructions on oral care.
- Avoid eating hard food before healing.
- Use mouthwash to rinse and avoid bacterial infection.
- To avoid infection, ensure you take your prescribed antibiotics.
- Avoid smoking.
After you have healed, you will be scheduled to have a dental implant procedure. If you need bone augmentation services near you, book an appointment with us at El Paso Periodontics and Implant Specialists today. Our doctors are well experienced and thoroughly trained in handling these procedures. You will feel safe in our care as we provide quality services at an affordable price.